Tuesday 15 July 2014

July halfway-point wrap up and mini reviews

Because I am planning on reading a lot in July, doing a wrap up of all the books I have read at the end of the month would turn into a humongous post, so I thought I would split it up a bit. So here are all the books I read in this first two weeks of July, along with some mini reviews.

     

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding      87%
Bridget Jones is a thirty-something year old who writes a diary of all her hilarious, embarrassing life stories about love, friends, work and family. She is searching for a boyfriend and sick of all the pestering and condescending words about her still being single, she is in need of a job that is actually worthwhile and she's desperate for her parents to sort themselves out. 
I loved this book, it was one of the funniest books I have ever read, and I was laughing the whole way through. Not only this, but I found the characters so relatable and real and just loved the story. I already knew the story having watched the film many times (such a brilliant film) however the book it actually quite different and of course even better, although I do love a bit of Renee Zellweger. The writing style perfectly suited the diary form of this book and it was such a fun, hilarious and engrossing story - so much so that I finished it in only one evening. If you enjoy relatable, real and hilarious stories then this is definitely something that I reccomend. 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs   88%
After a devastating event that changes Jacobs life, he ends up on a mysterious island and searching for an orphanage he isn't sure exists.
This book, I believe, is not one that you should go into knowing much about because part of the enjoyment is the mystery that it entails. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a spooky and mysterious novel that contains old photographs which Ransom Riggs crafted this interesting story around. The pictures were so intriguing and I found the story brilliant. The writing was also fantastic but the only thing that let it down a little was that I found the characters quite difficult to relate to, however this didn't take away from the amazing story. 

Amy and Rogers Epic Detour by Morgan Matson    95%
Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and he has plenty of baggage if his own.  The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into unchartered territory - but together, Amy and Roger will definitely figure out how to map their way.
This cutesy, finding-yourself story with a brilliant romance thrown in is a perfect summer read and I loved it. It was such a fun book, with great writing as well as fantastic characters that had both lost their way a bit. I definitely reccomend it as a beach read this summer - sometimes nothing beats a cutesy contemporary full of love and character development.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio   80%
August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that has prevented him from going to school . But now, he is about to start middle school and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is August is just an ordinary kid with an extraordinary face, but how can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appreances?
I found this book heartwarming and uplifting as well as sad and tearful. With amazing character development and a story of friendship and family that addresses the ideas of courage and struggle, this book was definitely a deep and touching story. I really enjoyed it, however for some reason it took me quite a while to read for a short book but I would reccomend Wonder to all ages and to people who are looking for a unique and beautiful contemporary story.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins    83%
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful. Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited french kiss?
This book was such a cute love story as well as a story about friendship and self-discovery. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and thought it was the epitome of a summer book. Although being a little cheesy for my liking at times, as well as unrealistic it didn't quote live up to me five star expectations. I did however, think the characters were brilliant and interesting and the writing was very good- it made me really want to visit Paris and I loved having the scene set in such an exciting way. It was just so cute and fun so I can't wait to read the next two companion novels.

So those are the five books that I have read in the first half July, it has definitely been a good start to a summer of reading. What have you read so far this month? 
Ellen xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment