Monday 23 June 2014

Mini Book Haul

              


On Saturday on the way home from town I popped into WH Smith just for a quick browse and accidentally left with a large plastic bag and a purse that was a little less full than when I entered. I'm really excited about the books I got though so I thought I would share them on here. 


A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin  
Summers spam decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun
As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stack counts it as a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will not what he must... and a dead enemy is a thing if beauty. The old gods have no power in the South, Stark's family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.                                                                                                                                                                                            I am sure you have all heard of the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and I'm sure many have either read it or watched the TV show. There is a lot of hype around this series but I have always been unsure whether to pick it up or not because each book has a hell of a lot of pages and the series is meant to be quite challenging to follow with a complicated world and many characters. I thought I would get the first one to tackle over the summer and see how I find it. I don't know too much about it but it sounds brilliant and I am pretty excited to find out more.


An Abundance of Katherine's by John Green 

When it comes to relationships, Colim Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a blood-thirsty feral dog on his tail and an overweight Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.                                                                                                                                                                   Of course you've heard of John Green- let's face it, he's pretty much the king of witty and intelligent contemporary YA novels- however it's safe to say that this is probably his least talked about book with much less hype and slightly more mixed reviews. I love John Green's writing and the stories he comes up with so of course I had to buy it (especially as it was half price) and I will be very interested to see what I will think of it. By any means, it sounds like an intriguing story line, and boy do I love a good road trip so fingers crossed for this one.


Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell   

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.
Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor.
Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose.                                                            Again, you've proabably heard of this book as well. I already own Fangirl, though I'm resisting temptation to read it as I think it would be perfect for summer time and I know Rainbow Rowell is a very popular author so hopefully I will enjoy Eleanor and Park just as much as everyone else. It sounds like a heartwarming and lovely (but maybe sad??) read which I am really looking forward to so I ended up picking it up even though I told myself I would wait and see if I enjoyed Fangirl first (now I have the predicament of which I should read first...). Also it has a blurb by John Green and the cover is so cute and beautiful that I simply couldn't resist.     

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp


Sutter's the guy you want at a party. He'll get very one dancing. He'll get everyone in your parents' pool. He has no plans for university and will probably end up folding men's shirts for a living. But right now life's pretty fabuloso.                                                                                                   Until he meets Aimee. Aimee's clueless. Aimee is a social disaster. Aimee needs help. It's up to Sutter to show her a splendiferous time and then let her go.                                                                                                         But Aimee's not like other girls and before long he's in way over his head. For the first time in his life, he has the power to make a difference in someone else's life - or ruin it                                                                                                                                                                This contemporary YA novel sounds like the perfect mixture of character development, deepness (and all that good stuff) and funny romance which is exactly what I want this summer. The cover is beautiful, though I must say, how annoying is it when they slap a non-removable "sticker" on it to promote the movie!!! .....Anyway, this book has some great reviews, sounds brilliant and intriguing (a great coming of age novel I should think) and I can't wait to see how I find it.


I hope you enjoyed this post and are having a good day. Have you read any of these books? What were you thoughts on them?
Love Ellen xxx
 





















                                                                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment