Monday 2 June 2014

June TBR

I always like to plan a couple of the books that I want to get read this month, though not all of them as I do like some freedom. I don't always end up reading the books I plan to read but I thought I would share with you the four books I want to read so far this month.
(Also thought I would apologise for the really weird lighting and bad quality of the photos.)

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

This contemporary young adult novel is about a girl named Hannah Baker, who commits suicide and leaves behind 7 cassette tapes recorded by her. There is a list of 13 people that she wants to receive these tapes and it is the previous person on that lists responsibility to forward the tapes on to the next person. We follow Clay, Hannah's class mate, and incidently a guy who had a crush on her after kissing her at a party, but apart from that has barely made any interaction which her. The tapes hold thirteen reasons why she killed herself and Clay is one of them.
I recently bought this book because it sounded really interesting, slightly dark and original. It seemed to me like a book that would make me think and one that I would definitely have something to say about after. I am already a little way through it and am enjoying it a lot so far.

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

This is a dystopian novel where those who are white are second class citizens, known as the noughts. Those who are black are far superior in society and are responsible for the ruling of the world- the crosses. We follow a boy named Callum who is a nought and a girl named Sephy, a cross and the daughter of one of the most powerful men in the country. Their love is forbidden but can they find a way to be together? 
This is a very well-known and popular book that looks really interesting and exciting so I really wanted to get on to it as I am interested on what my thoughts will be and if it lives up to the "hype". It's also on the BBC the Big Read challenge which I am slowly working my way through so it will be great to tick another book off that list.

The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes #2) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
~ I downloaded this free from my kindle app which is why I don't have a physical copy~

Sherlock Holmes is sitting in a cocaine-induced haze until the arrival of a beautiful young lady, seemingly very distressed, forces him into action. Having received a rare and lustrous pearl each year following her fathers death, Miss Morstan consults Holmes and Watson on the day she is summoned to meet her anonymous benefactor.  
I have already read the first Sherlock Holmes instalment, a Study in Scarlet, a few months back and really enjoyed it. It was a short but thrilling and mysterious read so I am looking forward to continuing with this one as it sounds just as, or even better than the last.

Wither (the Chemical Gardens #1) by Lauren Destefano

A botched attempt to create the perfect human race means that men die at 25 and women die at 20. Young girls are being abducted and forced into marriage in a desperate attempt to keep humanity ahead of the disease that threatens to eradicate it. 
When Rhine (aged 16) is kidnapped, she is sold as a bride to Linden, a rich young man which a dying wife. Even though he is kind to her, Rhine is desperate to escape her gilded cage...and Linden's cruel father. With the help of Gabriel, a servant she is growing dangerously attracted to, the young girl attempts to break free in what little time she has left.
I don't really know much about this book- which is why I stole the synopsis from the blurb- and I'm not even sure if it has good reviews but it was offered to me by my sister when she was getting rid of some unwanted books and how could I say no to a free book? It sounds really interesting though and I am trying to get through a few of the books I own that I'm not desperate to read otherwise I will never get round to them, so hopefully I will enjoy this.

So they are the four books that I plan to read this month and of course I will be giving mini reviews for them in my June wrap up so look out for that if you're interested. I hope you enjoyed this post and are having a good day. What do you plan to read this month?
Love Ellen xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment