Saturday 2 August 2014

July Book Haul

Having accumulated a fair amount of books that I am really excited about (having read and really enjoyed them or am really looking forward to read) I thought I would show the books I purchased.
(Disclaimer: all of these books I bought either with my own money or with gift cards given to me by family as birthday presents. I would also like to mention that I feel extremely priveliged and grateful that I am able to buy these books and I am not trying to show off in anyway. I just love books and want to share this with you.)

               


Winger by Andrew Smith

Ryan Dean West is a fourteen-year-old junior at a boarding school for rich kids. He’s living in Opportunity Hall, the dorm for troublemakers, and rooming with the biggest bully on the rugby team. And he’s madly in love with his best friend Annie, who thinks of him as a little boy.

With the help of his sense of humor, rugby buddies, and his penchant for doodling comics, Ryan Dean manages to survive life’s complications and even find some happiness along the way. But when the unthinkable happens, he has to figure out how to hold on to what’s important, even when it feels like everything has fallen apart.

I have already read this and it is a wonderful story with brilliant and hilarious pictures throughout it. You can hear more about my opinion in my booktube-a-thon wrap up.


Trouble by Non Pratt

When the entire high school finds out that Hannah Shepard is pregnant via her ex-best friend, she has a full-on meltdown in her backyard. The one witness (besides the rest of the world): Aaron Tyler, a transfer student and the only boy who doesn’t seem to want to get into Hannah’s pants. Confused and scared, Hannah needs someone to be on her side. Wishing to make up for his own past mistakes, Aaron does the unthinkable and offers to pretend to be the father of Hannah’s unborn baby. Even more unbelievable, Hannah hears herself saying “yes.”

Told in alternating perspectives between Hannah and Aaron, Trouble is the story of two teenagers helping each other to move forward in the wake of tragedy and devastating choices. As you read about their year of loss, regret, and hope, you’ll remember your first, real best friend—and how they were like a first love.
This sounds like a really good and interesting contemporary that I am definitely taking with me on holiday. I also think that it's just a friendship rather than a romance which sounds brilliant as it will be good to read a boy-girl friendship for a change.

Tribute by Ellen Renner
Zara is a mage, one of the elite in a world where magic is power, and the non-magic majority live as slaves. When her slave child best friend is killed for the crime of literacy, Zara seeks revenge by spying for the rebel Knowledge Seekers. She finds her bravery and magical skill tested to the limit when a young Maker, Aidan, is taken hostage in a bid for supposed peace. Surprised by first love, she promises to help him. But before Zara can keep her promise, her secret is discovered. Hunted by her own, she seeks refuge with the Knowledge Seekers. But when you can kill with a thought, can you ever be trusted? 
The cover is beautiful, she has the same name as me and it's a YA fantasy, how could I not pick this up? It sounds really good and has good reviews so I am excited to read this.

The Winners Curse by Marie Rutkoski
As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 
One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 
But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 
This book sounds fantastic, with great reviews, what seems to be a brilliant story and a beautiful cover, I needed this book.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.

The truth. 
This book has got loads of hype recently and no one who hasn't read it is allowed to know what's it's about. I want to know, so I bought it.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them?
Ellen xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment