Monday 15 September 2014

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight byJennifer E. Smith


Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight    
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Headline 
Publication date: January 5th 2012
Pages: 215
Genre: Young adult/ contemporary/ romance    
My rating: 62%
Review type: Non-spoiler

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything.
Today should be one of the worst days of Hadley's life... her father is getting married in London to a woman she's never even met, and she's just missed her flight. Hadley has never believed in destiny of fate before.... 
But, stuck at the airport in New York, today is also the day she meets Oliver. He's British. He's cute. And he's on her new flight.
 Set over twenty-four hours, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you are least expecting it

The short story....
I found this book cute and funny, being well written with a good pacing and a nice little romance, meaning that I kept on reading and interested until I had finished. Because of this, I did enjoy this read. However, I did feel that it fell down a lot of the usual, predictable traps that YA love stories so often do, which stopped me from enjoying it anymore than I did.

The long story...
The storyline was a good idea which I did enjoy as a quick read that I had no expectations for, and I found it pretty cute. However, there was a serious case of instalove which annoyed me even more than usual because it was the whole point of the story but wasn't done in a remotely realistic way and was overdone which lowered my enjoyment. I also found that it was very predictable, being able to make correct guesses at almost everything that was going to happen. 
Although I did like Hadley, because she was cute, interesting and realistic in some ways, I found her very unrelatable which made it a lot harder to connect to the story in anyway. I enjoyed Oliver as a character a lot more, he was sweet and flawed (which always adds so much to a character) and always had something interesting to say. I also liked the development of his character, even if twenty-four hours was too short a period for it to happen in. Furthermore, I liked the side-characters a lot too, Hadley's mum is  supportive and kind, her dad's apologetic and looking for anyway to make it up to her.
The writing in this novel was pretty good - it was quick-paced and flowed really well, making the book easy and engrossing to read so that it was effortless. It wasn't intelligent or witty compared with  David Levithan, John Green and the likes, but it still made a quite funny read which I enjoyed. 

All in all it was a well-written, cute story with some good characters, so if that is what you are looking for I would definitely recommend it. However, if you are a hater of instalove and don't enjoy unrealistic, unrelatable or predictable stories, this is not a book for you. 

Love Ellen xxx
 
Instagram: @ramblingsofabibliophile
Twitter: @bibliophile556
 

No comments:

Post a Comment